The Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia [GBM] a multi-ethnic, multi-faith, non-partisan Coalition of 25 NGOs is committed to the goal of Building a Better Malaysia.
Fully cognizant that the General Election 13 represents a historic crossroad in our Nation’s journey to become a viable and mature democratic polity;
We call upon all Political Parties:-
i. To respect the People’s desire to have free, fair and clean elections and to uphold the principles and processes of democratic elections;
ii. To campaign on the basis of policies and programmes that will benefit the Rakyat and the Nation, and not on the basis of maligning each other;
iii. To pledge not to manipulate and exploit issues pertaining to religion, ethnicity, sexual-orientation and creed; and
iv. To condemn and refrain from any acts of political violence.
We call upon all Institutions of State:-
i. To uphold the principles of impartiality and neutrality as enshrined in the Federal Constitution;
ii. To oversee and conduct the elections in an independent and non-partisan manner as prescribed by the Constitution and legislation in force (Election Commission);；
iii. To adhere to the highest standards of professionalism in managing the affairs of the Nation during the ‘Interim government’ phase, and in assisting the Election Commission to manage the electoral processes (Public Services and Security Forces);
iv. To uphold the cardinal principle of separation of powers in adjudicating on cases pertaining to the conduct and outcomes of the elections , without fear or favour (Judiciary);
v. To respect the verdict of the People and to ensure a peaceful transfer of power post GE 13. The formation of a new government(s) must adhere to the spirit and letter of the Federal Constitution and respective State Constitutions.
We call upon the print and electronic Media to report on the elections in a fair and responsible manner and adhere to the highest standards of journalism as prescribed by the code of conduct of the profession.
We urge the People to exercise their constitutional right to vote responsibly, and to accept the verdict of the majority as prescribed under our system of parliamentary democracy.
Taking into cognisance, the doubts created in the minds of the people resulting from the on-going RCI hearings in Sabah, we call upon the EC to invite the United Nation and the Commonwealth accredited observers. We believe this will restore the confidence of the people in the free, fair and clean electoral process, as well as boost the image of Malaysia in the eyes of the world community.
Finally, we must be conscious that a functioning, viable democracy does not end with the election day. The people must take responsibility of our future and hold the government and political parties responsible to honour the promises made during the Elections. In this regard, GBM calls upon all stakeholders to engage in regular consultation to uphold our cherished democracy.
List of GBM 25 Organisation Members
1) Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
3) Tamil Foundation
4) Pertubuhan IKRAM Malaysia (IKRAM)
5) Majlis Perundingan Malaysia Agama Buddha; Krisitian; Hindu; Sikh dan Tao (MPMA-BKHST)
6) Negeri Sembilan Chinese Assembly Hall (NSCAH)
7) Penang Chinese Town Hall (PGCTH)
8) The Federation of Chinese Associations Johore State (FCAJ)
9) Lim Lian Geok Cultural Development Centre (LLG)
10) United Chinese School Alumni Associations of Malaysia (UCSAAM)
11) Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF)
12) Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM)
13) Pusat Komunikasi Masyarakat (KOMAS)
14) Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM)
15) Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (Permas)
16) National Indian Rights Action Team (NIAT)
17) People’s Green Coalition (PGC)
18) Anak Muda Sarawak (AMS)
19) All Women’s Action Society (AWAM)
20) Partners in Community Organising (Pacos Trust)
21) Persatuan Bekas Siswazah Universiti dan Kolej di China, Malaysia (Liu-Hua)
22) Nanyang University Alumni Malaya (Nanda)
23) Japan Graduates Association, Malayia (JAGAM)
24) Gabungan Persatuan Alumni Universiti Taiwan Malaysia (GPAUTM)
25) Islamic Renaissance Front (IRF)