May 29, 2021
His Excellency Hon António Guterres
Through: Yang Berbahagia Mr. Stefan Priesner
United Nations Resident Coordinator
United Nations Malaysia, Level 10, Menara PjH,
No 2, Jalan Tun Abdul Razak
Precinct 2, 62100 Putrajaya, Malaysia.
Hon. Secretary General,
SUBJECT: MEMORANDUM TO UPHOLD INTERNATIONAL PEACE AND
SECURITY IN PALESTINE
Today, on the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers as gazetted via Resolution 57/129 by the United Nations, we, the Muslim Youth Movement Malaysia (ABIM) together with Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in Malaysia urge the United Nations to materialize its commitment in bringing international peace and security in Palestine. This is in line with the spirit behind this significant day for the United Nations, which marks the day in 1948, when the very first UN peacekeeping mission was created, “United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO)” to supervise the truce in Palestine.
We also would like to declare to the world that we solidly support the cause of the Palestinian people in liberating their homeland which is currently occupied by the Israeli regime.
We applaud the decision of the United Nations to condemn the atrocities, war crimes, transgression, and disproportionate use of force by Israeli Security Forces against the Palestinian people, particularly through United Nations Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People.
Given the perpetual acts of violence by Israel and the critical situation in Al-Sheikh Jarrah, Salwan and Al-Aqsa Mosque, we would further like to express our concerns pertaining to these incidents.
1. The Israeli regime has been deliberately and continuously enforcing severe restrictions on the fundamental rights of Palestinians. These include sanctions towards their right of movement, restrictions on the movement of goods in and out of Gaza, and facilitating the illegal move of Israeli citizens to new settlements in the West Bank, as well as the expulsion of Palestinian people from their homeland in Al-Sheikh Jarrah, Silwan, and many other places, which reflect the arrogance of the Israeli regime in
denying basic fundamental human rights that should be enjoyed by all human beings.
2. The systematic and modern colonization of Palestine by the Israeli regime for the past seven decades has brought about intense socio-political turmoil in West Asia. The death toll is increasing every year, while negotiations remain at an impasse.
3. The continuous aggression by the Israeli regime towards Palestinians and the encroachment of the Holy Mosque of Al-Aqsa and its surrounding complexes have triggered religious sensitivities and resulted in instability in the region.
Hence, we call upon the United Nations to represent the entire international communities in upholding the cause of justice and freedom of Palestine through:
a. Initiating an effective peacekeeping mission and enforcing the existing peacekeeping operation in Palestine and the surrounding territories to safeguard and guarantee the security of the civilian population in the country. The United Nations, through the United Nations Security Council under the mandate of Article 41 and Article 42 of the UN Charter or any other provisions under Chapter VII of UN Charter, should initiate and facilitate more effective peacekeeping mission in Palestine and at the same time enforce the existing peacekeeping operations created in 1948 in order to safeguard and guarantee the security of the civilian population. The mandate of this peacekeeping mission should not be limited to a specific period.
b. Fulfilling its obligation under Chapter VII of the UN Charter. The UN Security Council is responsible for the maintenance of international peace and security and is therefore obliged to take prompt action to refer the crimes committed by Israel (in conjunction with the UNSC Resolution 2334 adopted on 23rd December 2016) to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
c. Prosecuting Israel promptly in the International Criminal Court. Resolution 2334 reaffirmed the UNSC’s stand that the establishment by Israel of settlements in the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem (Al-Quds), is illegal
and constitutes a flagrant violation of international laws. We welcome the latest development by the International Criminal Court (ICC) on the 5th of February 2021 through a majority ruling by judges in Pre-Trial Chamber I contending that the Court’s territorial jurisdiction in the Situation in Palestine, a State party to the ICC Rome Statute, extends to the territories occupied by Israel since 1967, namely Gaza and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem (Al-Quds).
The current development serves as a strong basis for the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) to expedite the investigation and prosecution process on the alleged crimes of Israel against Palestinians in accordance with UNSC Resolution 2334.
d. Taking more assertive actions by executing the resolutions reached in the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). Though the status of UN Resolutions are nonbinding and recommendatory in nature, the reports released by the UN Special Committee to investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and other Arabs of the Occupied Territories as well as The Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People constitute sufficient evidence to justify a firm exhortation against Israel and strip its membership from the UN.
e. Defending the rights of the aggrieved Palestinians – especially their rights to worship freely in Al-Aqsa mosque without any interference from the Israeli regime, and to preserve the important sites of Al-Aqsa without any irresponsible destruction by the
f. Empowering humanitarian missions by facilitating humanitarian agencies under the United Nations and humanitarian NGOs, particularly from Malaysia, such as Global Peace Mission Malaysia (GPM) and My Aqsa Defenders to deliver aid to fulfil the basic
needs of the Palestinians.
Dear Hon Secretary General,
We urge the whole world to strongly condemn the savage acts of Israel which contradict the very foundation of human rights and justice. We also call on all Malaysians to keep engaging with the United Nations with regards to the issue of Palestine and to work hand in hand in finding solutions to this issue. We hope both will continue to share the same spirit.
“Upholding Truth & Justice”
MUSLIM YOUTH MOVEMENT MALAYSIA (ABIM)
1) My Aqsa Defenders
2) Association of Nexgen Christians of Malaysia (ANCOM)
3) Allied Coordinating Committee of Islamic NGO’s (ACCIN)
4) North South Initiative (NSI)
5) Malaysian Youth Council (MBM)
6) Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
7) National Union of Malaysia Muslims Students (PKPIM)
8) Society for the Enlightenmemt of the Ummah Malaysia (WADAH)
9) Global Peace Mission Malaysia (GPM)
10) Federation of South East Asian Muslim Students (PEPIAT)
11) Muslim Volunteer Malaysia (MVM)
12) Association of SALWA Malaysia (SALWA)
13) Forum for a Humanistic Economy (FEM)
14) Persatuan Belia Hindu Pelabuhan Klang
15) Pertubuhan IKRAM Malaysia (IKRAM)
16) Malaysian Consultative Council of Islamic Organisation (MAPIM)
17) Malaysian Interfaith Climate Change Network (MICCN)
18) Projek Wawasan Rakyat (POWR)
19) Interactive Muslimah Association (IMAN)
20) Persatuan Gerak Wanita Islam Malaysia (GerakWanis)
21) Council of Islamic NGOs Sabah (CONCERN)
22) Ikatan Cendikiawan Muslim Malaysia (ICMA)
24) Islamic Propagation Society International – IPSI
25) Pertubuhan Iqra’ Malaysia – PIM
26) Jamiyah Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan
27) Malaysian Chinese Muslim Association (MACMA)
28) Islamic Information & Services Foundation (IIS Foundation)
30) Persatuan Darul Fitrah
31) Persatuan Al Hunafa
32) Persatuan Ulama’ Malaysia (PUM)
33) Institut Kepimpinan Bitara (BITARA)
YAB Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin
The Office of Malaysian Prime Minister
Mr Jean-Pierre Lacroix
Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations